Established in the year 2006, the Biomedical Engineering Department at Alpha College of Engineering has stood distinct in delivering quality education to the students. In keeping up with the rapid developments in the biomedical field, it is essential to prepare the students to meet the demands and maintain high standards. As bio-medical engineers are employed in various disciplines which include hospitals, research facilities (both educational and medical institutes), manufacturing medical instruments, pharmaceuticals and biomedical research, it is essential that the students are versatile and capable of thriving in any field.
Being an interdisciplinary field, teaching biomedical engineering requires faculty who can help students work broadly and comprehensively to leash interdisciplinary knowledge consisting of medicine, molecular and cellular biology, and engineering.
At Alpha, the biomedical engineering department ensures that the students receive quality education in theory and practice. The department is well equipped with state of art facilities (listed below) to meet the industry requirements.
- Bio Chemistry Lab
- Anatomy & Human Physiology Lab
- Diagnostic & Therapeutic Lab
- Bio Medical Instrumentation Lab
These labs are categorised into two
The Biochemistry and Human physiology LAB
Two lab classes are conducted here.
- Biochemistry and Human physiology
- Pathology and Microbiology.
Biomedical Instrumentation LAB
- Two lab classes are conducted here.
- Biomedical Instrumentation Lab
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Equipments
Innovative educational programmes that integrate engineering and the biological sciences are offered by the department. These programs make the students proficient in the usage and application of engineering tools and the various methods and skills to solve problems related to biology and medicine. These programmes are a favourite among the students as it allows them to get hands on experience while encouraging them to become creative and apply their knowledge on a practical level.
Apart from the regular studies, the students are given industry exposure. The following are some of the industrial visits by the students.
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry.
- The Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital, Chennai,
- AMS Solutions (P) Ltd, Vadaperumpakkam
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur
- CURA Healthcare, MEPS, Tambaram
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Science, Pondicherry.
- Vellore Institute of Rehabilitation Engineering.
With the coaching provided by the faculty, the infrastructure, the special programmes and the industrial visits, the biomedical engineering department produces engineers for whom dedication, passion, perseverance, and success become a norm – the reason why Alpha is rated among the top engineering colleges in Chennai.